SnV Forums Forum Index SnV Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alcohol in space

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveo
Da Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Alcohol in space Reply with quote

Alcohol cloud spotted in deep space
Astronomers say they have spotted a cloud of alcohol in deep space that measures 463 billion kilometres across, a finding that could shed light on how giant stars are formed from primordial gas.

The vast bridge-shaped cloud of methyl alcohol has been spotted in a region of our galaxy, the Milky Way, that is called W3(OH), where stars are being formed by the gravitational collapse of concentrations of gas and dust, the discoverers said in a press release.

Methanol, an organic (carbon-based) molecule, is a cousin of ethanol, which is found in alcoholic beverages.

The cloud was spotted by astronomers based at Britain's Jodrell Bank Observatory led by Lisa Harvey-Smith.

Their work was to be presented on Tuesday at a meeting of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) in Leicester, central England.

In 2004, methanol, also called methyl alcohol, was spotted for the first time in one of the disc-like clusters that form around nascent stars.

That discovery opened up a new area of debate in astrophysics, challenging the conventional view that interstellar chemistry could not provide the conditions for creating complex molecules, as they would be ripped apart by ultraviolet radiation from stars and other tough conditions.

Around 130 organic molecules have also been identified so far in outer space, fuelling speculation that these complex molecules may have helped to sow the seeds for life on the fledgling Earth.

NEVER DRINK AND FLY!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyberpumpkin
That thar, that's FUNNEH!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anheiser Busch is already putting dibs on that giant booze-nebula as we speak. Now all we need is a cost-effective way to get it into cans on Earth.
Sharp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot some grains into space! I want my buds!
Terri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, popular science articles are so laughable. Can you post where you found that, Steve? Not because I don't believe you, I'm just honestly curious.

Sigh. "A cousin of ethanol." How friggin lame. I suppose they're only one carbon away, but I don't think that many people purposely drink methanol, or isopropanol (which is also one carbon away), for that matter...

Plus, wait, scientists have found 130 organic molecules in "outer space?" (Whatever that even means...) Huh? I'm assuming that means 130 different compounds; did I really miss that much when I took astrobio?

Confused.
Steveo
Da Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go Terri:

http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200604/s1607840.htm

I saw this on yahoo news awhile ago. People are having the biggest laugh over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Terri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveo wrote:
Here ya go Terri:

http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200604/s1607840.htm

I saw this on yahoo news awhile ago. People are having the biggest laugh over it.

Thank you, sir Wink
Hooooomsar
Class-hole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I speak for everyone when I say "let's build a spaceship" and I respond in advance to the question who will be designated driver with "123 not it"
Yazz
Growing a Forest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that motion
not it.
Beyond the Grave
Shooting my balls off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already beat you to it.

See ya later, jerkies.
That thar, that's FUNNEH!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri wrote:
I suppose they're only one carbon away, but I don't think that many people purposely drink methanol, or isopropanol (which is also one carbon away), for that matter...

--I drink it out of my special methanol-can helmet! *glub glub glub* Yummy!

Terri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberpumpkin wrote:
Terri wrote:
I suppose they're only one carbon away, but I don't think that many people purposely drink methanol, or isopropanol (which is also one carbon away), for that matter...

--I drink it out of my special methanol-can helmet! *glub glub glub* Yummy!

Hahaha, that's a fantastic idea. My fellow bio nerds and I used to joke about drinking our huge 6 liter jug of laboratory grade ethanol after finals. It's probably good that we didn't; I kinda like to be, you know... alive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SnV Forums Forum Index -> The Stick All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: