SnV Forums Forum Index SnV Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is conforming to "the man" a part of maturing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinks
needs a cigarette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushroom Pie wrote:
Jinks wrote:
You should HAVE to go to college

Laughing

curse my fingers.

I'll show them what for!

*plays Guitar Hero until they all break*

Nar laga Dia do lamh
Cyberpumpkin
That thar, that's FUNNEH!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original question: I'd say that yes, "conforming" to the Man is a component of maturing.

Acting like a bratty 4-year-old and arching your back and saying "No no no! I don't want to I don't want to Idonwanno!" no matter what the Man says is immature. "Bucking the system" in ways that will not change the system, only make things more difficult for other people, that's immature. Drawing the Man's attention and picking fights for no good reason is immature. Fighting to the death over every disagreement you ever have with the Man no matter how petty is immature.

Waiting until a time where it is appropriate and will be effective to make your dissent heard shows maturity. Getting in line with everyone else until getting out-of-line will do something productive shows maturity. Holding back and deciding which issues are actually most important shows maturity.

Basically, it all boils down to how much or how little selfishness you conduct yourself with. If someone is immature, he's gonna do it his way and damn the consequences to anyone else, let alone the Man. If he's got some maturity, he'll show some wisdom and reserve and have some dignity and finesse about his rebellion, so when and if he does buck the system, he'll actually be sticking it to the Man, not just making life harder for people the Man has influence over (which is pretty much everyone, to some extent).

Henry Rollins, Ian MacKaye and Jello Biafra are mature. They aren't "non-conforming" in any snotty, petulant, self-absorbed way: They have worked extremely hard for their credability, paid their dues. Their success doesn't ride on their nonconformity: Their messages aren't just different versions of "Look at me! I'm a baaad boy!" and certainly nothing as brainless as "FSCK THIS! FSCK THAT!". The anger and rage are there, yeah, but it's not just selfish "I'm not getting what I want!" kicking and screaming. Their work tends toward directing attention toward things that are going wrong and motivating people to do something about it.

Needle Dog
Boyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I was going to say what he said. ^^
tigress.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinks wrote:
You shouldn't HAVE to go to college, it doesn't make you anymore of a man if you find what you love and achieve it with out a college education.

I'm not saying college is a bad thing, it should be a choice, not a requirement of life.

college isn't "a requirement of life." no one is physically forcing you into higher education. however, the reason why many people do aspire towards higher education is because it eventually can improve their quality of life.

personally, i can't respect anyone without college experience, if they willingly chose to settle with just a high school education.
Cyberpumpkin
That thar, that's FUNNEH!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, I was gonna mention something about college and I got to an ending in my post and forgot all about it.

I'll bet a good deal of money that if you asked any of those three guys Mikes! originally mentioned, they'd tell you that having an education is better than not having an education; that studying things expands your horizons and can teach you stuff, but more importantly teaches you how to learn and investigate ideas for yourself.

On the other hand, I'd temper that statement with the comment that a liberal arts education can be cripplingly expensive, and it's a damn shame that a lot of people have to make the choice to be smart but poor. I guess I'd say that if you're going to get an education, make sure you also learn something that translates directly into a job or trade, because even if you want to be the next Henry Rollins, you'll need to feed and house yourself while you're lifting weights to build up your neck and sticking it to the Man.

Ray
idle will kill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluttering wrote:
personally, i can't respect anyone without college experience, if they willingly chose to settle with just a high school education.

How about me, Mimi? I didn't go to college, but I went to a Trade School. Do you have respect for me?
Sexy_Sakura
Hot for Teacher?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
sluttering wrote:

How about me, Mimi? I didn't go to college, but I went to a Trade School. Do you have respect for me?

I agree with Mimi, to an extent. For me, it's any sort of further education, which shows some sort of goal that has been set and accomplished. Going to some sort of post secondary institute (to me) shows that the person wants to further their knowledge, and has a higher end in mind. I can't stand unintelligent people, and I can't stand people without goals. I have a grand future in mind for myself, and I'm not going to get bogged down by an unintelligent and unambitious man.
Ray
idle will kill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, as far as a thirst for knowledge and a will to succeed go, I've got 'em in spades.
sluttering
tigress.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
sluttering wrote:

you didn't just limit yourself to high school education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SnV Forums Forum Index -> The Stick All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: