SnV Forums Forum Index SnV Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Games and Art discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Sullivan
Endut! Hoch Hech!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything more depressing than being a video game snob.
Rare Spawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Sullivan wrote:

Video Games are the goddamn future of art and entertainment. When video games become as big as film and music is now, I'll be able to say that I was a snob even in it's infancy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carlo Von Sexron
a sexy revolution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depressing.
NO ROMAN ORGIES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZealousDemon wrote:
Rocky Sullivan wrote:

Video Games are the goddamn future of art and entertainment. When video games become as big as film and music is now, I'll be able to say that I was a snob even in it's infancy.

Spacewar?

Also, isn't it odd that "snob" has somehow come to have positive connotations? How did "snob" become something people would actually want to be?

Signed,
Carlo Von Sexron
a sexy revolution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it's cool to be a wine snob ever since that movie Sideways, apparently.

I hated that movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having this same conversation, coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago with an acquaintance of mine. I always thought that being enthusiastic and knowledgeable about something was a good thing, but it turns out I was wrong and people hate everyone who knows more than them about anything.

Wrong or not, I am going to continue to operate my life under the assumption that my immense collection of records makes me a music "geek" or "enthusiast". Not like that old jackass that used to come into the record store and complain about rock music, while buying contemporary Chicago blues albums. Snobbery at its finest.

And the idea that some consider video games an art form on par with film and music sort of sickens me. I'm not saying they're not an art form, but seriously.
Carlo Von Sexron
a sexy revolution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "enthusiast" certainly has different connotations than "snob".

An immense collection of records makes you awesome, even if girls don't want to talk about them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might post a picture of me standing with them... maybe right now?
ZealousDemon
Rare Spawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodger wrote:
And the idea that some consider video games an art form on par with film and music sort of sickens me. I'm not saying they're not an art form, but seriously.

Like I said, it's the future. Certainly video games haven't quited reached that point yet (it took films quite some time too) but video game as art has already been seen. Try playing something like Shadow of the Colossus or BioShock and then try to tell me that these aren't well-crafted works and that they don't evoke some very unique and memorable emotions.

But I guess we're going a bit off topic now, aren't we? Continue on with your talk about albums now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rocky Sullivan
Endut! Hoch Hech!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I said, it's the future. Certainly video games haven't quited reached that point yet (it took films quite some time too)

not really, once the ball started rolling with good short films

I'm all for a good video game future but I really don't think most dudes that make games are exactly artistes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Sullivan wrote:
Quote:
Like I said, it's the future. Certainly video games haven't quited reached that point yet (it took films quite some time too)

not really, once the ball started rolling with good short films

I'm all for a good video game future but I really don't think most dudes that make games are exactly artistes.
I go to an art school with a very large animation department that puts a lot of emphasis on 3D animation and game design, and so there are a million dorks with those majors the in my foundation classes because we share a lot of the same prereqs. I haven't met any inspiring ones yet.

Oh, and motion pictures were immediately popular with the mainstream.
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes! wrote:
Weren't video games? The Atari 2600 and NES were pretty popular in their day. Arcade machines were ubiquitous within a few years of their release. Pong was an instant success.

I think you're missing an important point about video games. You can easily pack a movie theater or a concert hall full of people and demonstrate your "art" for them, but video games aren't like that. They're interactive. Video games are only accessible to the people who have the hardware to play them, and they only play to one to four people at a time.

And if that disqualifies it as an art form, then you have a very closed mind.

Oh and thread split.
Baby, let me be your egg that needs to get laid.

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
ZealousDemon
Rare Spawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, I mentioned Shadow of the Colossus before. If you haven't played the game, let me demonstrate. If you plan on playing the game and haven't yet, I suggest you don't watch it. It's the final boss.

Let me set it up for you. You're a boy who's trying to bring back to life a girl that is very dear to your heart. To save her, you enlist the help of spirits. These spirits ask you to take down sixteen giants, and then she will be revived. You've taken down fifteen of them and you've had some other losses along the way. There's no turning back. It's time to fight the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SapNmzuXk2U

The music. The atmosphere. The size of the giant. Your desperation as you climb the giant. Just the way that everything is put together in this sequence is pure artistry.

Certainly this is the epitome as games as art as it stands currently. But the potential is certainly there for other developers to make their own living pieces of art.

Mikes! wrote:

It was certainly very popular with early immigrants. Many in the richer classes considered early film to be a waste of time and preferred plays. I think this also has much to do with accessibility. Anybody can sit down and watch a film, not everybody can remember the Contra code or how you knock an enemy down using CQC in Metal Gear Solid 3.
possums
c'mon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing you have to realize about video games as art at the current time is this:

a) It takes a lot more math, CS skills, and patience than most people are willing to learn, myself included.
b) As Dave said, the games are interactive, so the process by which you see the creator's vision is usually very different from that of a movie or book.
c) Their popularity is irrelevant, the most important thing to consider is that since they were not widely considered art at their inception into culture, video games won't be considered art for a long time. I think this is where you can draw the comparison to movies, not in terms of popularity.
d) Chance of finding a programmer who's also an auteur: 1/100000000
e) If people are going to think of puzzle games and DDR as art, they're probably going to be ridiculed, but I think all forms of video games still have potential for art recognition. Though I think that the art label will be (or has been?) applied almost exclusively to RPGs, more epic action/adventurers, more epic FPSes, and other epic games for a long time.
f) It doesn't help that most video game players have a VERY limited scope of taste.
g) It also is pretty non-conducive that most programmers are fucking nerds.

If anything, I think art recognition among the video game world will or already has taken place mostly in Japan. This is because the current generation of Japanese at our age aren't fucking elitists when it comes to art. (that is if they appreciate art at all, don't get me wrong)

My best advice to my Anglo pals who are not willing to accept video games as art: just try it. It's not going to kill you to play The Ocarina of Time and think of it in terms of interactive literature. You might find something new about it that you love.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethan raises a good point: The fact that there is very little new in terms of concepts. I will agree that Coffee's game is artistically styled, it still appears to be rehashing the same swords-and-sorcery stuff that's been around forever. It's art, sure, but in the same way that Bob Eggleton's painting is art: technically proficient but lacking in real artistic value.

There are other games that I think are better contenders, like The Sims or (sigh) Katamari.

Never mind the fact I have one of Eggleton's art books laying around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SnV Forums Forum Index -> The Stick All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: