SnV Forums Forum Index SnV Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open OM 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Open OM 2 Reply with quote

so the past three or four standard OMs have failed to complete themselves. Why? Because people stopped writing. Why? Mostly 'cause they had an excuse.

Then I came up with Open OM and we rocked the house and totally finished that one and everyone had lots of fun.

So here's what I'm thinkin': Open OM 2.

"But the forum's nearly dead," you say.
"Yes," I reply, "but there are at least 5 people posting here now and then that might want to play this, so let's see!"

So yeah it's not like this OM is gonna win any speed records, but it could be a fun monthly diversion... or it'll pick up speed really dang fast and someone's gonna be all surprised when they come back after a month and their character was killed off and the game ended.
So yeah, CHECK people.

How does it work? Well, there's a GM, that'll be me. But the GM doesn't do all the work, the players do. Here's the deal:
We sign up like normal. We get our colors finalized and everything. Then the game starts. Situation normal until it's time to kill someone off.
How do we decide that? We come to a consensus that it should happen. We also vote in the thread for who should be killed off. That makes it fair... at least in theory.
Here's the other part: After a character is condemned, their player has 60 hours to write them out. After that 60 hours is up, anyone can do it. Killing the character off is the only requirement.
Here's another thing to keep the flow going: Reserves only last 12 hours. The rule still stands that you can't write again until two other people have written, but that only lasts 60 hours. If it's been more than 60 hours from your last post, feel free to reserve. The story will continue until there's only one character remaining.

Now then, about the voting. This is only limited to the players as long as the players continue to vote. If we don't get enough votes from players, we'll take 'em from anyone. However, to keep it somewhat fair and mix it up a bit, there'll be a "mayor" like in TAG. That'll be me of course. I'll make the final decision of who is to die.

Here's another power I have: If someone writes something incredibly wrong and it should never have been written in the first place, I reserve the right to make it non-canon. Being a moderator, this is easy. I'll just edit the post and turn any non-canon text gray. At the bottom of the post, I'll cite the reason. So if you feel that person A has totally misrepresented your character and totally gone against what is plainly written in the character description, fire off an irate PM to the person. If they won't change it, fire one off to me. If it looks legit, I'll make the offending text non-canon. If a writer edits their post to make something non-canon canon again, then it's immediately time for their character to die. I hope we won't have to do this at all, but I retain this power anyway just in case someone wants to write a post in which everyone dies or something.

Since I won't have anything GM-y to write, I'll throw a character in too. I promise not to godmod, but remember, it's a vote. If you really want to kill my guy off, you can. Please don't do it right off the bat though, that'd be mean.

Requirements for writing: You can't write part of the story unless you have a living character in the game. However, if the remaining people start to go inactive, I'll open it up to anyone who had a character in the game, and if that doesn't work, I'll open it up to anyone. So write people, or someone else will do it for you.

So now if you think this concept could work and might be fun, PM me a character description. Here's what I want:

Character Name
Username
Color
Brief Description
Weapons
Personality Breakdown

This is what I want, please don't copy and paste from other OMs... unless it's from Open OM 1 like I just freakin' did. The Personality Breakdown is important, because it should be the biggest guideline for how to treat the character while one is writing for him or her. If an action goes against the personality breakdown, I can totally make it non-canon for you, but if it's ambiguous, then I probably won't.

As for the environment: I'll detail it more in my starting post, but here's the deal: It's an unstable universe. The contents of that universe are shaped by the unconscious thoughts of the people inside it. The OM characters will be the only ones inside it. This means, whenever someone dies, the universe might change form. It's up to the writer at time of death. Since it's shaped by people, albiet not consciously, it shouldn't ever be completely inhospitable, so don't do that. As for mapping disputes, go by this rule: Geography is completely intuitive unless something has already been specified.

I figure that in the end, if we get there, the last remaining person, rid of all the psychic interference of others, would either successfully will the universe to send him/her home, or perhaps just live out the rest of his/her life in a paradise world. It's totally up to you. Maybe the universe morphs into something they were totally unexpecting, make some huge revelation about how they operate, and commit suicide in some totally deep introspective thingy. As I said, up to you.

Also, you know my feelings on backstory. Since I'm "mayor," I can skew votes. If you are voted for, you can be designated to be killed, and bunches of backstory just paints a bigger target on your character's head.

Yeah, I think that's it. If you want more info, ask.

Ok, so after reading all that (or skimming or whatever you did), here's the sign up area. I'll post the character descriptions here, starting with mine.

Character Name: Inspector Gadget
Username: Its_The_Sneak!!!
Color: Black
Brief Description: The chief investigator for the police force in wherever he is. His major mission is to track down the evil Dr. Claw and dismantle his evil conglomerate, MAD. He's a cyborg, and has many gadgets built into his body that help him accomplish his tasks. He's also pretty clumsy and clueless, unconsciously relying on his dog and niece to help him solve the case and catch the crooks. By the way, this is the TV show Don Adams Inspector Gadget, not the stupid movie one.
Weapons: His gadgets. I'll probably keep it restricted to only gadgets seen in the cartoon, but I might make up one or two. Nothing extreme, though. I guess what I'll try to do is keep it to gadgets that might possibly be used in the cartoon. Deal? Deal. He won't have a gun or anything designed to be lethal, of course. Also, his gadgets tend to not work exactly as he wants them to, so that's a factor as well.
Personality Breakdown: Inspector Gadget doesn't like killing or really even harming people, so the worst he'll probably ever do to someone is attempt to arrest them as a MAD agent. In defense, he might accidentally kill someone, but it's very unlikely. I'd expect that whenever the heat is on, he'll intentionally or unintentionally (via gadget malfunction) flee from the conflict and attempt to regroup.

Character Name: Bryan "Mac" McCullen
Username: Jpec07
Color: Dark Blue
Brief Description: Mac stands around 5'10" tall, with dark hair and an older face bearing evidence of past battles. One very evident scar in particular spans from just next to the corner of his lip to the middle of his forehead. Some find him attractive, others repulsive: it really doesn't matter to him. Years of training and experience have instilled in him the necessity of being able to blend in with his surroundings, and when he's not on active duty, he finds himself wearing incredibly ordinary clothing: so ordinary, in fact, that most people don't give him a second glance.
Weapons: The main weapon that Mac uses is his specialized, highly unique suit (that he doesn't usually wear). It is primarily a stealth device, being able to adapt to a wide variety of different environments by changing color and pattern. It also has a perfect stealth mode where, if Mac remains completely, perfectly still, it renders him all but invisible for up to 30 minutes. His reflexes are also enhanced when he wears the suit, as it uses acupuncture to boost his body's adrenaline production. He is well-versed in many styles of hand-to-hand combat, and knows more ways to kill a man with his bare hands than he cares to count. While he is adept with most weapons and how to use them, he prefers his hands. Typically, he also carries with him a total of five perfectly-balanced, sharper-than-razor knives, in case he needs a projectile or is facing off against an opponent where fists won't be enough.
Personality Breakdown: For what he's done and who he is, Mac is incredibly easygoing. He's somewhere between 30 and 50 years old--all records pertaining to his identity were destroyed when he entered his training, all except the ones in his mind. This intense training enabled him to endure a very wide range of trauma and stress, leaving him with very little to fear. His mind used to be one controlled by strict logic, and while that still remains in part, a lot more instinct comes into play, having been developed over countless years and missions in covert operations. He's seen a lot, and while it does show from time to time, he tends to keep it in pretty well. Interestingly enough, he is a very honest and straightforward man, rarely lying and rarely withholding truth. He will also almost always resort to diplomacy and attempts at peaceful relationships instead of fighting, despite being a relatively quiet individual.

So yeah, I'll post the rest of the character bios here, should we by any miracle get a cast of 5.
Baby, let me be your egg that needs to get laid.

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"

Last edited by Its_The_Sneak!!! on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh why am I even considering making a dude for this.

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christo wrote:
Ahhhhh why am I even considering making a dude for this.
because it'll be fun!

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
Jpec07
A Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...we PM our characters to you, right? It's been a while, so I don't quite remember...
Otogi-san
gleep glorp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'm so glad I'm not running these anymore. Running D&D is so much more fun.
Christo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of RPGs, I was thinking it might be fun to play OM in one of the more free-form Pen and Paper games like RISUS (very simple) or GURPS (very in-depth). I guess it wouldn't really work for the player-vs.-player nature of Otaku Melee but in past games people have tended to team up by the end anyway. Sort of a "random people get mysteriously transported to who-knows-where and have to work together to get home" type deal.

Not to knock your Open OM system, ITS. I just think it might be fun for a change. If there are still enough people around to have a few players I wouldn't mind GMing.

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!
Sharp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change of pace sounds nice. I might join then. I've always wanted to learn how GURPS works.
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jpec07 wrote:
...we PM our characters to you, right? It's been a while, so I don't quite remember...
yup

Ok, well someone else can run the RPG version... but I'm still gonna do this one in case anyone just feels like a good ol' round robin.

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
Sharp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round Robin? OM always just went by whoever reserved last.
Seanie
kid with the will to funk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Risus once. I used Spiky-Hair(2) to put the secondary characters in line.
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Round Robin? OM always just went by whoever reserved last.
.... Free Robin

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
Jpec07
A Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...it looks like we have at least five people showing interest in the game. I guess the only question is WHY AREN'T YOU SIGNING UP?!?!?!?!?!?!?one If everyone who has posted in this thread were to sign up, we could get the game a'rollin....
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far I've only got 2 people signed up... and I guess I'll just approve Jpec and put him in the thing.

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
Seanie
kid with the will to funk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll write up a character once someone else joins.
Its_The_Sneak!!!
Blocked by SOPA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seanie wrote:
I'll write up a character once someone else joins.
don't hold your breath. Of all the people who said they'd join, only Jpec ever even PMed me about it.

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
"The Chicken of Lust"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SnV Forums Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: